A water conditioner can drastically improve the water quality in a betta fish tank. A small betta tank can easily get polluted with toxins like nitrates and nitrites. Even when you are adding tap water, you are apparently adding harmful chemicals like chlorine and chloramines.
The best betta water conditioner will not only remove the harmful toxins, but it should also add beneficial minerals and vitamins. The overall water condition should meet every desire of a perfect betta home!
So, what is the best water conditioner for betta fish?
In my opinion, it would be Tetra BettaSafe Water Conditioner. It eradicates every kind of toxins and adds in the desirable minerals. Not only that, but also it creates an environment that helps the good bacteria to grow. Moreover, it protects the slime layer on the betta skin.
There are some other great products that you can consider to buy. So, I am going to review all of them for you. Finally, for those of you who still don’t know about the water conditioners much, I have added a detailed buying guide.
|1.69 oz (50 mL)
|1 L, 2 L, 1 gallon, 50 mL, 100 mL, 250 mL, 500 mL
|0.5 oz, 2.0 oz
Top 5 Betta Water Conditioner of 2019
1. Tatra BettaSafe Water Conditioner – Best Overall
The first product on my list today is packed with features. The Tetra BettaSafe is a special water conditioner suitable for bettas and other tropical fish. It reduces every kind of toxin that you can typically see in the tap water or in a betta tank.
It comes with a slime protective layer that keeps your fish healthier. It’s quite hard to find a flaw in this fine product.
- – Removes toxins like ammonia coming from the tap water as well as neutralizes chlorine-based harmful elements like chloramines, chlorine, heavy metals, and other substances
- – Reduces slimes from water by providing a protective slime coating
- - Adds in beneficial minerals and essential vitamins
- Helps the living organisms in the water to produce advanced biopolymers which create a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria
- - Specially designed for betta fish water tank that actively reduces stress
- - Extremely budget-friendly
- Acts against most of the common harmful elements
- Superior ammonia protection
- Quick action formulation
- Offers slime protection
- Comes in a smaller pack, you might need to re-buy it frequently
- For the best result, you will have to use four other supplements from the same brand
API is a well-established name in the fish keeping industry. It might not so many lucrative features like the previous option in my list, but API betta water conditioner is made of botanic extracts – aloe vera and the green tea.
It’s always better to choose a natural water conditioner rather than a chemically enhanced one. Some complain about the cloudy water issue, but almost every single conditioner makes the water cloudy initially.
- Fights off common tap water toxins like ammonia, chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals
- Reduces the chances of lethal diseases like gill infections, ick, tissue damages, and other fungal diseases
- Comes from natural ingredients like aloe vera, and green tea extracts that help to reduce the risk of inflammation and accelerates healing from tissue damages
- Designed especially for betta fish aquarium
- Easy to use and budget-friendly
- Purifies all the common tap water toxins
- Fights off against dangerous diseases
- Botanical extracts boost natural healing environment
- Designed for betta
- Superior quality
- Might make the tank water cloudy
3. Seachem Prime Fresh and Saltwater Conditioner – The Robust Solution
I have put the Seachem Prime conditioner for those of you who want to see quick and powerful action. This is, by far, the most powerful conditioner I have seen. Apart from removing the common tap water toxins, it reduces nitrite and nitrate rates too.
So, you will not have to use additional nitrate removers. Seachem Prime can take care of everything.
- – It starts acting immediately to remove toxins like chlorine, chloramines, and ammonia permanently from the tank. After the complete detoxification process, it collaborates with the biofilter to remove the remaining extracts.
- 5-mL solution is sufficient for 200 liters (50 gallons) water. So, Seachem Prime is effective and efficient.
- Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater conditions.
- - A completely non-acidic solution that will never hamper the pH level of the water.
- Comes in six different sizes.
- Extremely vigorous – fast-acting formulation
- Helps to reduce nitrites and nitrates where other conditioners fail
- Detoxifies and removes the toxin by collaborating with filters
- Doesn’t hamper the pH level
- Takes very little amount to clean efficiently
- Offers slime protection
- Not a natural conditioner
- Has Sulphur that can produce a pungent odor
- It might be too powerful!
4. API Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner – The Perfect Natural Conditioner
This is another fine product from the API. You can hardly find any difference between this one and the API Betta Water Conditioner in number 2.
However, there is a minor difference – API Splendid can increase the amount of electrolytes in the water.
- Neutralizes the common tap water toxins like ammonia, chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals.
- Fights off deadly diseases mainly caused by fungus and bacteria like gill infections, ick, tissue damages, and other fungal diseases.
- Has botanic natural ingredients like aloe vera, and green tea extracts that reduce the risk of inflammation and accelerates healing.
- - Designed especially for betta fish aquarium.
- Adds essential electrolytes that help the bettas thrive.
- Neutralizes almost every kind of the toxins
- Fights against dangerous diseases
- Unique aloe vera and green tea combination that aids in healing
- Designed for betta
- Made of natural botanic extracts
- Water might turn cloudy every time you pour it in
5. Zoo Med Betta H2O Conditioner – The Safest Choice
Zoo Med Betta H2O Conditioner is a water conditioner that is for those who put safety above anything else. This the safest option you can find in the market.
I haven’t seen any user complaining about the safety issues of Zoo Med. However, it takes an awful lot of time to condition the entire tank fully. So, you will have to patient with it. Otherwise, it’s perfect!
- - Alleviates tap water toxins like chloramines, chlorines, and other heavy metals.
- Fights against the nitrogen-cycle-toxins like ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
- - Helps the fish heal better and faster in case you have injured fish in the tank.
- - Has higher than average concertation so you will not have to use too much each time.
- Acts against almost every kind of toxic materials in the tank
- Has a stress relief formulation
- Accelerates the healing process
- Doesn’t need much conditioner in every use
- Can take a lot of time before you can anticipate noticeable results
- Turns the water cloudy every time
- Leaves a suspicious film in the water surface
Buying Guide on Best Water Conditioner for Betta
A water conditioner can be the simplest solution fighting off the pollutants in the water. If you feel that your betta fish isn’t living happily, using a water conditioner for fish might bring in the charm.
However, you should look for a few small details before you choose the conditioner for your betta. Here are some critical factors –
Is It Chemical Free?
While choosing the water conditioner, try to go for a natural one. The natural ones might take more time to improve the water condition, but it is worth the wait.
A chemically-formulated conditioner might have some toxins in it! So, rather than helping, you might cause even more harm by using these products. Such products may cause death to your beloved bettas.
There are some conditioners in the market that contain natural healing agents, you should definitely choose them.
For example, the two products from my list above – the API Betta Water Conditioner and the API Splendid contain aloe vera and green tea extracts. These two products enable the natural healing process that fights off fungal attacks and repairs tissue damage.
Wouldn’t it be great if you fish get the boon of the healing power of aloe vera?
Is the Product Reliable?
You shouldn’t fall for the gimmicks and marketing stunts from the cheap brands in the market. Take your time and do extensive research. It’s always helpful to read customer feedback.
While doing so, you should be looking for two key factors – effectiveness and reliability.
If the product takes weeks to improve the water condition, it’s better to avoid it. A natural conditioner might a day or two to fully enhance the condition. With a cheaper product, things are much worse.
Often ask yourself – what do I need to fit my situation?
Moreover, read the instruction manual before using the conditioners. Make sure that it is suitable for a betta or similar tropical fish. Not all products are designed for all kinds of fish.
What Kinds of Toxins Will the Conditioner Remove?
As you have looked through the product features in the review section, you might notice that every single one of them fights against three basic toxins – ammonia, chlorine, chloramines, which caused by betta and plants in the tank
These three are the most commonly found toxic elements in the tap water that we use in households. So, make sure whichever product you are going for can neutralize these three substances.
Moreover, some conditioners eradicate the nitrites and nitrates. Consider this trait as an extra. You would probably use a separate nitrate remover.
Lastly, a good conditioner will also remove water slimes and at the same time, create a natural habitat for good bacteria. So, keep an eye on these features.
FAQ: Things that You Should Know About Betta Water Conditioner
How to Use Betta Water Conditioner?
Having a good water conditioner is a must if you are a betta owner. If you use the normal tap water, you would be injecting harmful toxins in the water tank. On the other hand, using distilled water will deprive your betta of receiving beneficial minerals.
To offer a better living condition, you should change a fraction of the water from the tank regularly. You should add the water conditioner just after changing the water.
Moreover, you have to use the conditioner again if you are adding a new betta in the tank.
Always check the instruction manual to understand the usage frequency. Some fish keepers suggest using ½ teaspoon of conditioner for each gallon of water in the tank. I would suggest otherwise, as the usage instruction differs from product to product.
It’s always better to remove your fish out of the tank before you add the conditioner. You might never know how your fish will react to the new conditioner, better safe than sorry!
Never, ever use soap or detergent to wash the tank or the gravel (learn more). It would drastically change the pH level of the water and leave you fish in an uncomfortable situation.
How Much Water Conditioner for Betta Fish?
The answer can never be definitive.
Each company uses different ingredients to formulate the conditioner that aims at fulfilling different purposes. So, check the back of the package or any instruction manual before you jump in.
There are some common usage directions that are popular –
– 8 drops per pint (473.17 mL)
– 15 drops per quart (946.35 mL)
– ½ teaspoon per gallon (3.785 L)
However, these instructions are based on popular believes only. Water conditioners have varying particle densities and dilution rates. So, you shouldn’t follow the trends like a blind rat!
Betta vs. Regular Water Conditioner: What is the Difference?
You might be using a common freshwater water conditioner for your betta. Well, it will not harm your betta in any way, but there are special conditioners explicitly designed for betta that can make a lot of differences.
The main difference between a common and a betta water conditioner lies in the concentration. A betta conditioner typically comes in a new diluted form.
Such low concentration makes it easier to mix the conditioner with the smaller betta tank water.
Moreover, some of the brands add some binding agents that help the betta to protect the slime layer covering the body. For example, Tatra BettaSafe Water Conditioner comes with the protective slime layer.
So, a betta conditioner comes with some small but good-to-have features that make them stand apart from the regular ones. If you are keeping only the betta in your tank, I would suggest you pick a special betta conditioner.
What Are the Benefits of Using Water Conditioner?
There is a fine line between living and thriving. If you want to see your betta thrive with a sound body and health, you should consider using a water conditioner.
I think the following list of benefits should help you with the answer –
- Gets rid of the chlorine and the chloramine (a chemical combination of chlorine and ammonia) from the tank water
- Reduces the count of heavy metal molecules coming from the tap water
- Creates a better and livable environment for different fish especially if you are just setting up the tank
- Adds up different helpful minerals and vitamins that tap water doesn’t have
- Helps the friendly bacteria to grow that leads to building a perfect ecosystem tropical fish
These benefits lead to creating a stress-free environment. Moreover, some conditioners help the fish fight off different diseases; some even soothes external injuries and tissue damages.
Where to Buy Water Conditioners?
Now that you are considering to get water conditioners for your fish, you should know the source of procurement too. Water conditioners are now a product of demand for responsible fish keepers.
You can find them in almost all the big e-commerce platforms like Amazon. If you are a bit more traditional and want to feel the product before purchasing, you can contact your local pet store too.
e-Commerce platforms will help you with a wider range of choices that a local shop might not offer you. Moreover, you can make comparisons more easily. Go for the option you feel comfortable with.
Judging all the features and traits, I will call Tetra BettaSafe Water Conditioner to be the best betta water conditioner today.
Then comes the API Betta Water conditioner in the second place, having the aloe vera and green tea extracts. It is a true natural solution to your problems with superior quality.
Finally, the third place goes to Seachem Prime being the strongest of them all.
So, what do you think of this list today? Let me know in the comment section below!